« Back to News & Notices

Letter to Customers during COVID

Dear RMWC Member-

*We understand just how disruptive the coronavirus pandemic has been and we remain committed to doing the right thing for our members.  At Rural Membership Water Corporation, we recognize that many families have experienced job losses, reduced hours, and other financial pressures.

*Indiana Governor Eric Holcomb issued an executive order stating that after August 14th, Indiana utilities may start disconnecting water to customers who have not paid their bills. RMWC understands that many members are still struggling to get back on their feet, so we are giving several extra weeks for members to make payments or arrangements. Members with past due balances will not be disconnected until October 14th at the earliest. This deadline could change if the state of Indiana or other authorities extend protections again.

IN.gov stated, below, that disconnection can be avoided under certain circumstances:

A utility may decide not to disconnect service (even when it has the legal right to do so) if the customer contacts the utility to discuss the reason for falling behind in payments. But the customer must:

  • Pay a reasonable portion of the bill -- the lesser of:
    • $10 or 10 percent for electric, water and sewer, or
    • $25 or 10 percent for natural gas;
  • Agree to pay the remainder within three months;
  • Agree to pay all undisputed future charges when due; &
  • Not have violated any similar payment agreement with the utility in the last 12 months.

Continue making small payments as you are able, it’s best to make as many payments as you can to keep your balance manageable. You can pay online at www.ruralmembershipwater.com or on your smartphone through our PAYGOV.us app ( location pay code 37642), or call us to pay by credit or debit card (convenience fee when paying with card).

Set up a payment arrangement (starting in August). We understand that it is going to take time for many members to catch up on their bills. RMWC is asking that you call the office 812-294-1481, to make payment arrangements. Members are urged to do their best to continue paying their bills.